Only several monuments of sacred architecture and with more or less damage at that, have survived in Tusheti. They date back to XIX century and according to all findings they must be linked to the activities of the society which sought to restore the orthodox Christianity in the Caucasus. It may be argued that some of them are built on the ruins of the previous churches. Appropriate activities are necessary to be carried out to prove it.
We can support the point of view that there used to be churches in Tusheti much earlier than XIX century by referring to Georgian orthodox churches existing in the Republics of Ingusheti and Daghestan. One of themTkoba- Erdi church dates back to IX-X and another so called Datuni church belongs to the turn of X-XI centuries.
According to G. Mertsbacher, the famous German mountain climber and traveler who explored the high mountainous regions of the Caucasus in 1891-1892, the society for restoration the orthodox Christianity in the Caucasus had sent Georgian priests to build Greek orthodox churches in five villages of Tusheti: in Omalo, Dartlo, Shenaqo, Bochorna and Natsikhari.
Besides the mentioned ones, we have churches of about the same period in the following villages: in Iliurta (church with a dome), in Jvarboseli (hall church) and in Parsma (hall church). There are ruins of church altar in the village of Indurta.